Legendary Member Big Daddy Tees's Avatar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Talent Poachers

How do you feel about people who come into your fed with the specific intent of poaching your talent? What do you feel about talent poaching in general? And have you ever partaken in talent poaching yourself?

My feelings about this are a bit different than most (probably) most of your members are mature adults and are free to come and go as they please, if someone presents them with a “better” offer (more opportunities, solid competition etc.) and they decide to jump at the chance it’s not like someone is holding a gun to their head or manipulating them (in most cases) It’s sort of like if someone came along and offered someone else a better job a higher salary at a higher level and they took it, this is their right, but they can’t expect that the door would be opened for them and they’d be welcomed back with open arms if things didn’t work out and they decided to return to the place they were poached from. I remember one instance where someone who was at a high level (main event talent-world champion) was poached from a particular fed, the fed was dying a slow death anyway but this person leaving was the final nail in the coffin, after they left and the fed they departed from ultimately closed for whatever reason they had a cup of coffee in their “new” fed before ultimately being fired and disappearing from the game completely. So sometimes when a person gets poached and things don't work out in their new home not only are they not welcomed back to where they left, there is no where to go back to and no one else will have them.

I have quietly “retired” from e-wrestling, but never say never.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    This is a two part thing to me. I actually agree with you from the standpoint of the talent whose being poached, recruited, etc. I get why they'd be enticed to go somewhere else. It only makes sense if someone is offering you a much larger role in a federation then the one you're in that you might want to go. I get that. Pretty much everyone whose ever played in this hobby knows what that's like and has done it at least once or twice.

For many reasons, including one you mentioned above, they need to think those moves through very carefully. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and a lot of times offers are made with no intention to actually back them up in the first place. You also need to think about what you're doing to the place you're in and how you're leaving them. Possibly it could kill an already struggling federation. Although to me that's the lowest reason on the list because if the federation is completely dependent upon you, or any one handler, the place is doomed anyway.

Anyway from the perspective of an owner, or show runner, of a federation going to other feds and stealing their writers I don't like it. I find it dirty. When I ran, or helped run, feds I never went to other places and tried to talk their handlers into leaving. I simply made sure to do the best we could do with our shows, our storylines, and our characters and in doing so it got us noticed. Which, in turn, got people coming to us wanting to be part of the place.

Of course there were handlers who Id known a long time, and talked to all the time, who I considered friends in this hobby that I absolutely would offer spots to if they ever wanted one but those were people I considered my good friends in the hobby. Of course I'll offer them spots if they ever wanted them or needed them.

But just to go around trying to steal people from places? Nah. I was out on that. I wanted to basically build my feds own home grown names, not get huge off the names from some where else.

One example of this in my time in the hobby was Prime. I remember it when that place first opened. It didn't have any star names really. Rock Startling was probably the most well known at the time and he wasn't someone that would be remembered by most in the same breath as a Kannon, Duke Williams, Meanstreak, etc.

But Prime had a great charm about it. They put out great shows with lesser talented writers. Then they started to really ramp up because some unknown people started joining and doing great work. Then all the sudden, as it's hitting it's stride and doing great work, the big names from other feds decided they wanted a piece of the popularity.

And thus began the downward spiral of the PRIME until it wasn't nearly as good anymore. Bringing in a big name or two to bolster the up and coming roster they had would have been great. It would have made PRIME that much better.

Instead they basically brought in every big name from PCW, OSW, etc that there had been over the previous 4-5 years and it turned it into PCW lite. The work rates became incredibly stupid. They burned out the writers in a hurry. A lot of those big names were close to not being part of the hobby anymore anyway. They stuck around for one more title run, one more big name fed to their name, then they'd give way to their next big name friend.

In the process they lost a lot of the good, up and coming, writers because they simply got pushed aside. With the exception of a couple and I was glad those guys got their due. Guys like Nova who was a star before anyone knew it. I'd known that guy for years before PRIME and he was always a star, he just needed the right push.

Now don't get me wrong PRIME still did great shows. They still had some great storylines and I loved a lot of the characters they used and things they did. But it was never the same. It lost it's magic that it had when it was the great fed that no one really huge was a part of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure how much this happens now. Could be more than it used to be - but back in the early 00s and late 90s it was common place to happen. It's wrong but you also can't stop em'.

I do remember that bit with Prime. Caused some controversy on ew(insertnamehere).com
    no brand Wrestling - Going strong since 2004.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen people come in to a fed I was in to try and poach people and also the fed i was in has tried to attract people the same way. Part of the deal I guess.

I don't mind, if the handler is happy they are going to stay. If they leave then the truth is they were probably going to leave anyway

Legendary Member Big Daddy Tees's Avatar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I remember in the early 2000’s some people would take things a bit too far and it would lead to a lot of heated feuds between feds and the people in them. During one particular instance a group of people from another fed came into a fed I was in and attempted to steal members, the members weren’t having it and told them basically to “piss off” this resulted in the people from the other fed coming back and spamming the rping and occ boards posting comments trashing the fed, mocking and even impersonating people in the fed. This was back before feds used message boards that require people to sign in with user names and passwords, they basically used guest book style things for occ and rp boards, anyone could quite literally sign anyone else’s name that they wanted to and only someone with administrative access could verify whether the person was legitimately who they claimed to be. Anyway, there was a lot of back and forth retaliation and accusations that characters in one fed where either one and the same or were knock offs of people in the other fed. Some of these legit issues would transfer into storylines down the line when things cooled off a bit and savvy fed heads figured out ways to work together making angles out of what started out as occ feuds. This in my experience became less of an issue as people matured and feds shifted toward using message boards requiring log ins with user names and passwords.

I have quietly “retired” from e-wrestling, but never say never.